Are you an engineering manager who loves to build great teams and great technology? Honeycomb is looking for a manager to work with our core platform team, a group that focuses on ensuring our service scales and engineering teams have good abstractions to build on top of.
Honeycomb is built to help engineering teams deeply explore and understand their own production systems — in real time. It's a service for the near and present future, where distributed systems are the new default, every service is a platform, and empowered generalist software engineers are the new ops. We are passionate about consumer-quality developer tools and excited to build technology that raises our industry's expectations of what our tools can do for us.
- You have some experience leading a high-performing team of engineers, including managing and shipping cross-functional or multi-team projects.
- You work on understanding the larger business context and frame projects and prioritization around impact to the business and users. Bonus points if you enjoy collaborating with product management and design or are familiar with the Product Management philosophies of people like Marty Cagan and Jeff Patton.
- You’ve worked in the platform or infrastructure space and understand the technology, tools, and challenges enough to rise to at least a Senior Engineer or an equivalent level. You're endlessly curious about the technologies your team works with and strive to keep your technical knowledge sharp — but you also feel comfortable knowing your greatest impact won't be as a technical contributor.
- You place a tremendous value on good communication and appreciate async- and remote-friendly working practices. You know how to pick the right communication tool for the problem at hand (chat, video, email, etc.). You value diversity, equity, and inclusion, and you understand how good communication practices intersect with efforts to build a diverse and inclusive culture.
- You understand methodologies like Agile, XP, and Lean, and see their value, but don't believe there's only one right way to get work done.
- You are comfortable with the pace and trade offs of an early stage startup (meaning: know how to take care of yourself and your team, get your work done without working around the clock, prioritize ruthlessly, be able to tolerate a little uncertainty and sometimes wear different hats).
- You have an interest in recruiting, hiring, and onboarding new engineers, and you like the idea of crafting an interview process that is both less painful and more informative than the industry average.
- We hire adults, and we trust every member of the team to act with autonomy and ownership. We believe that the best managers often see themselves as coaches, supporters, mentors, and facilitators, rather than authority figures.
- We expect individual contributors to understand our business goals & product vision, seek guidance when they don't, and strive to identify and ship high-impact work. We think some of the most important work of being a manager is making sure your team has the full context to understand business & technical tradeoffs and empowering them to make their own decisions.
- We think feedback is a gift — both positive and constructive — and try to share it early and often. We are a high-trust and high-transparency team, and we strive to create an environment where everyone on the team feels real emotional and psychological safety at work.
What You Get When You Join the Hive
- Base compensation range for this position, based on level of experience, is $190,000 - $220,000 (Engineering Manager) and $220,000 - $245,000 (Senior Engineering Manager)
- It’s not about how strong of a negotiator you are - our pay is based on transparent levels relative to experience
- Compensation benchmarked to San Francisco market - no matter where you live (or move)!
- A stake in our success - generous equity with employee-friendly stock program
- 401k plan to help you plan for your future
- A remote-first mindset and culture (really!)
- 100% employee coverage for Health, Dental, Vision, Life and Disability insurance
- Time To Recharge - Unlimited PTO, paid sabbatical, 14 US company holidays in 2022, and one 3-day weekend per month
- Pick Your Perk - $600 a year to spend on the perks that you care about most
- Work Life Balance and Flexible Schedule options
- The tech you need AND a $500 Home Setup Stipend
- $200 Reimbursement for Cell/Wifi/CoWorking
- $1500+ Annual Professional Development Allowance
- Up to 16 weeks of paid parental leave, regardless of path to parenthood
- Maven Inclusive Family-Building benefit including unlimited virtual appointments, coaches & counselors, and $10K ‘wallet’ to support adoption, surrogacy, IVF, and egg/sperm freezing
- Semi-annual performance conversations (we call them Review & Rewards conversations) - so you know where you stand, and how you’ll be rewarded for your impact
- Annual compensation review, benchmarking to industry and inflation changes
Diversity & Accommodations:
We're building a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other, and welcome nontraditional candidates, and people of all backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. You don't need to be a millennial to join us, all gens are welcome! Further, we (of course) follow federal and state disability laws and are happy to provide reasonable accommodations during the application phase, interview process, and employment. Please email Talent@honeycomb.io to discuss accessible formats or accommodations. As an equal opportunity employer our hiring process is designed to put you at ease and help you show your best work; if we can do better - we want to know!
Please mention that you found the job on keyboardjobs.com.