We’re looking for a Senior Software Security Engineer to help shape our all-in-one privacy solution and join our mission to show the world that protecting your privacy online can be simple.
As a security professional with a deep understanding of desktop software, you'll be a key contributor and champion of safeguarding our forthcoming Windows & Mac privacy browsers. You'll learn all about browser internals, develop powerful browser security features, identify security bugs, and be a crucial collaborator in creating robust security processes for our native applications.
You'll be part of the team that pioneers a company-wide cultural awareness and understanding of security best practices, collaborating to define processes and standards and helping other teams execute security-focused projects.
In this role, you will:
- Lead and advise browser security projects from proposal through postmortem, assessing vague problems, proposing high-impact solutions, and executing them against success criteria.
- Develop a solid technical understanding of browser-specific security threats to help build the world's most private and secure browsers.
- Regularly test browser features for security concerns and audit browser code for insecure use of functions and libraries.
- Monitor, triage, and resolve security issues that impact our browser products – large and small.
- Identify and articulate browser threats to the engineering teams and build a deeper cultural awareness of security at DuckDuckGo.
- Collaborate to define processes and standards and help teams across the company execute security-focused projects.
- Mentor peers through remote collaboration opportunities, including product brainstorms, technical design discussions, and code reviews.
- Write pragmatic, testable code to implement browser security features.
What You Will Bring to DuckDuckGo
- Ability to lead and collaborate on high-impact and complex projects from proposal through postmortem.
- Skills to wrangle vague problems, propose innovative solutions, and execute them with a strong focus on metrics.
- Experience working to secure desktop or web applications in an engineering capacity.
- Experience leading engineering projects.
- A deep technical understanding of software and a strong desire to identify, understand, and address browser-specific threats.
- Proficiency in programming with at least one native language, such as C#, Swift, or similar
- Experience working collaboratively with cross-functional team members.
- Experience in mobile application security and other desktop security hardening is a plus but not a requirement.
How We Will Support You
Our core values -- build trust, question assumptions, and validate direction -- underpin how we work day-to-day and the support we give our team members. We strive to empower our team members to be self-directed and self-motivated in their work.
- Remote First, Always: We've always been a fully distributed company with team members all over the world. We trust you to get your work done wherever, whenever.
- Commitment to Personal Growth: Every team member has an annual budget of $1,250 USD to invest in their professional development. Every team member also has a dedicated Career Advisor, who serves as a guide to help you develop your strengths, identify your motivations, and understand your opportunities for growth.
- Leadership: We have many different types of leaders and possible combinations of leadership roles, so you can grow your career in a way that aligns best with your personal goals. You can seek additional leadership roles by being directly responsible for projects, taking ownership of areas of the company, developing and maintaining internal processes, or pursuing advisory roles.
- Work/Life Balance: Team members have the freedom and flexibility to organize their own work schedules. We want you to thrive both in and out of the office. We trust you to use good judgment and take the time off that you need to bring your best self to work.
We also offer paid parental leave, a co-working stipend, office setup reimbursement, and a wellness stipend. More support resources can be found in our, Team Member Support Guide, which explains how we make your well-being a priority.
For more information on how we collaborate worldwide, from leadership in our relatively flat organization* to start-to-finish ownership, check out DuckDuckGo Culture: How We Work.
Annual compensation: $170,000 USD and stock options. Compensation is the same within a professional level, regardless of geographic location or functional area, and the compensation for each professional level is transparent across the organization.
Hiring works best when it's a two-way street. Learn how we help you get to know DuckDuckGo and envision your future role here. Find out more about how we hire.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
DuckDuckGo provides equal work opportunities to all team members and applicants and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type
on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, caste, religion, age, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by our policies or federal, state, or local laws.
We want to ensure that our hiring process is accessible. If you need reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process because of a medical condition or disability, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know the nature of your request.
If you think you might thrive in this environment, we would love to hear from you.
Please note that:
- Sometimes we meet up! Expect to travel at least two times a year: once for our all-hands meetup and again for a team retreat (each around 4-5 days). While extenuating circumstances may impact attendance, everyone is strongly encouraged to attend.
- While we offer a flexible work arrangement with no core hours, expect an average full-time commitment of 40 hours per week.
- A successful candidate will be subject to a background check and must receive satisfactory results of the same, as a condition of joining the team.
- By applying for this role, you confirm that all information submitted is accurate and complete. You further acknowledge that providing false or fraudulent information during the application process is cause for denial of an offer, revocation of any existing offer, or other adverse action, up to and including termination after the start of your commencement of work.
Please mention that you found the job on keyboardjobs.com.