alcemy was founded to reduce the massive CO2 footprint of the cement and concrete industry. Concrete is humanity's second most used material by volume and is responsible for almost 9% of global CO2 emissions.
We can change this! We leverage machine learning to provide intelligent production control software to the concrete supply chain to improve efficiency and allow for low-carbon cement and concrete production. Our software is used 24/7 in cement and concrete plants to optimize production and reduce carbon emissions today.
- You’ll join us as a software engineer in either our cement or concrete app team to develop our core products.
- Take co-ownership of our back-end code base, make architectural decisions and ensure high software quality standards.
- Help us scale internationally by building new features and improving the performance of our existing application.
- We’re a small start-up, so you’ll also have the opportunity to explore and work on other areas. For example one of our front-end engineers recently took the responsibility for moving our web app deployment over to Kubernetes.
You’d be a great fit if
- You care about climate change.
- You are a strong Python developer with ≥ 2 years of experience, ideally in developing and testing data-focused applications.
- You have experience building production-ready APIs and back-end software using Django, Flask, or ideally FastAPI.
- You know how to write SQL and have experience working with PostgreSQL.
- You are excited by math and statistics and you can turn mathematical models into maintainable code
- You can live and work remotely anywhere within the EU that's about a day of train ride away from Berlin.
- We meet up every 9 weeks for team weeks in Berlin to work together in-person
- VSOP equity options vested equally over 4 years.
- 1500€/year & 3 days/quarter personal development budget
- Mac or Linux laptop of your choice
- 25 days of vacation
- Additional company holidays between Christmas and New Years
- An additional day of vacation for every 2 years at alcemy
- Python for everything in our back-end. Our RESTful APIs are built using FastAPI with auto-generated Swagger UI documentation and OpenAPI schema. Our database schema is defined using SQLAlchemy and our data models using pydantic. We test our code using pytest and write modern, type-hinted Python checked with mypy. Number crunching and analyses are done using pandas, numpy and sklearn.
- We store our data in PostgreSQL and our infrastructure runs on AWS using Kubernetes.
- We use React & Next.js for building our front-ends. Everything is written in TypeScript. We use Blueprint.js as our component library and layout our application using TailwindCSS. Our RESTful API is integrated using RTK Query and any shared state is managed using Redux via Redux Toolkit.
Working at alcemy
- We value transparency, and direct feedback and are always open to refactoring how we work together.
- Engineers take ownership of their features from implementation, testing through code reviews, and deployment.
- No engineer is on-call.
- We’ve been working hard to get a defined career progression framework in place, charting out both technical expert & management tracks.
- We are passionate about helping our customers and always approach them and each other in a supportive and appreciative way.
- Our team setup is hybrid which means we have an office space in Berlin but you can also work remotely. To ensure human connection we have a quarterly on-site team week. During those, we try to focus less on day2day work and more on including evening activities, goal setting, and strategy definition.
Within 1 month you will
- Complete our onboarding and get guided through our development and CI/CD process
- Clone your personal copy of our entire production tech stack in our AWS cloud, including front-end, back-end, and the machine learning pipeline. You can poke and dismantle it to your own liking.
- You will inevitably learn a lot about cement production or the intricacies of concrete data.
- Deploy your first code to production.
Within 3 months you will
- Take co-ownership of the back-end of our web application
- Know your way around our back-end tech stack
- Implement and ship your first major feature
Within 6 months you will
- You have fully taken co-ownership of our web application and have become a valued member in determining the future of our application including
- responsibility for estimating the time and technical scope of new major features as well as their implementation
- collaborating with our product owners and machine learning team on our roadmap
- shaping our tech stack and how we work together as a team
Our hiring process is fully remote and we’ll communicate with you over email and video chat.
- 1:1 screening call with one of our engineers
- Complete a take-home task relevant to the actual work you’d be doing
- A team fit interview (45 minutes) with 2 of your future team members
- A technical interview (90 minutes) with 2 of our engineers
We encourage applicants from all backgrounds to apply. We also acknowledge how stressful interviews can be. Let us know if there is anything we can do to improve the process so you can demonstrate your skill set.
Note: We currently do not offer visa sponsorships, so you have to have a valid work visa for the EU.
Please mention that you found the job on keyboardjobs.com.