Who are you?
We are looking for an Engineering Manager to join us on a permanent basis and help make healthcare work better for everyone.
As an Engineering Manager at DrDoctor, your focus will be on developing talented individuals and helping our pods to succeed (we call our teams pods). This is an exciting role where you get to establish our recently created management track and make a real positive impact to peoples’ lives and careers.
Your day to day will be varied but consist of a mixture of:
- Collaborating with the pods you’ll manage, progressing effectiveness and driving high performance
- Working as a team of Engineering Managers to lead on and contribute to a variety of projects
- 1:1s and 6 monthly reviews with the engineers you’ll manage
- Working closely with our People Partner to recruit and onboard new engineers
- Working with our Head of Engineering and the wider Product teams towards progressing our OKRs and initiatives
You will also help define, implement, and track meaningful metrics used to understand our platform and team’s performance. We do not expect you to code (unless you really want to!), however, you’ll be comfortable getting into technical discussions and coordinating technical projects when needed. We’d like you to be a self-starter who wants to build brilliant places to work and be part of a scale-up that does good with technology.
This opportunity will allow you to have a direct effect on what we do and how we do it. If you have a desire to make a difference, we can give you exposure to every facet of enterprise SaaS software and as much responsibility as you are ready to handle!
What is DrDoctor’s set up?
Our current structure has taken inspiration from the Spotify model, our pods are aligned to products and have all the skills to do the work (think: engineers, product manager, designer). The whole company runs in two-week sprints and the pods have the autonomy to decide how they want to work and organise themselves around the problems they are trying to solve.
Our tech stack is primarily Microsoft based using C#, .NET, SQL and Vue.js with a sprinkling of interesting open-source components, although we are happy using any framework or even none at all. We deploy changes to production multiple times a day using CI/CD pipelines and run our systems on a mixture or virtual machine and PaaS service-based infrastructure hosted entirely on Azure cloud. We prefer to invest our talented engineers time in writing automated tests to keep our codebase healthy, rather than have dedicated QA/test roles.
Who will I be working with?
In this role you really will interact with every part of the business on a daily basis, even as we grow!
But for now, meet one of Engineering Managers, Nathan:
The pandemic has changed everybody and the sense of purpose, working for DrDoctor and feeling like I'm giving something back and making a difference has become even more important to me, that’s what attracted me to the healthcare industry. I spent some time at 111 during the early part of the pandemic and found it very rewarding, so since then I was drawn to the HealthTech industry. I enjoy my role in DrDoctor because of the ability to have autonomy and to run with my ideas. It's a great way that we have developed an inherent trust in each other to do the right thing, so being able to take that and develop ideas or initiatives without having to ask for permission is great.
What experience do I need to have?
We’d like for you to have experience in:
- Line management
- Developing engineers through guiding, coaching, mentoring, 1:1s, continuous feedback and performance reviews
- Mentoring and growing junior Engineering Managers
- Leading, building and measuring high performance teams
- Active involvement in recruitment
- Iterative development and agile ways of working
Bonus points if you have exposure to:
- Cloud infrastructure & services
- Career coaching
- Managing supplier relationships
- Measuring micro service platform performance
We know from research and experience that candidates may not apply if they don’t feel they meet 100% of our requirements. If you don’t tick all the boxes but feel you would be a good fit, we would still love to hear from you. We are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive culture!
Just to let you know too, we will need you to have the Right To Work in the UK, and as we work closely with the NHS, if we get to the stage where we make you an offer to join us, we will also need to undertake a DBS check.
We are perfect for each other, what are the next steps?
We are currently recruiting heavily and have a lot of CVs to go through. However, we don’t wait for roles to close before going through your CV. We will be in touch in a few days to let you know if we think we might be a match, and if we are not. Unfortunately, because we get so many CV’s we are not able to send an individual response if it’s not a match. However, if you want more details as to why, just drop us a note and we will arrange to get some feedback over to you.
If it’s a match, then we will arrange a time to talk to you on a quick 30 minute call. It’s just an informal chat so you can relax! We will tell you more about the role, the team and why you should want to join us.
If we continue, then we will invite you in to meet the team and founders. Depending on your role we may also ask you to complete an assessment.
We get there are a lot of great roles out there, so we will make sure to get through the rounds as quickly as possible. All we ask is you keep us up to date with your plans.
I can’t wait to get started, what are the perks?
An awesome team? Ok, you want more?
- Remote by default approach - Everyone at DrDoctor will work remotely, most of the time with regular opportunities to socialise and engage at office spaces available in London and Manchester.
- Flexible working (we support your family and personal commitments; you can work where you are at your best and at times when you feel most productive)
- 25 days holiday plus Bank Holidays (with our own DrDoctor Bank Holidays thrown in for good measure!)
- 4 duvet days per year for those days that you just don’t feel like working
- Personal development time every other Friday
- Yoga on a Monday, team sports and other fitness classes adhoc
- Mental health support through our partner OpenUp
- Drinks/other fun things sent to you in the post
- Cycle to work scheme
- Enhanced parental leave (up to 16 weeks fully paid parental leave for anyone who brings a child into their home – whether this is via birth, adoption or surrogacy)
- Salary competitive and dependant on experience
- Support in your career progression based on our progression framework, including twice yearly pay reviews and mentoring opportunities
- EMI share options scheme!
As DrDoctor has grown, we are seeing more of our people wanting to socialise in different ways.
Whilst we know that some of us love to go to the pub, we want to make sure we are including a wide variety of activities and events for our teams to enjoy each other's company, we aim to continue creating an open space for anyone and everyone to suggest how they’d like to spend time with their teams.
When we are able to, we also do summer and Christmas parties and regular company/team socials and away days. So far in 2022, we have enjoyed picnics at a nearby farm, a water colouring session, board games evening and Crystal Maze! We have also held various events for celebrations such as Eid ul-Fitr, Holi Festival and International Women’s Day.
Please mention that you found the job on keyboardjobs.com.