Published on Sat, 20 May 2023 07:42 UTC
(10 days ago)
Who are you?
We are looking for an Engineering Manager to join us on a permanent basis and help make healthcare work better for everyone.
As an Engineering Manager at DrDoctor, your focus will be on developing talented individuals and helping our pods to successfully deliver valuable outcomes (we call our teams pods). This is an exciting role where you get to make a real positive impact to peoples’ lives and careers and grow as a manager in the process. We would like to talk to you even if you’ve only recently moved to the people side of engineering – you will have a mentor – so apply if you’re unsure but the role sounds interesting to you.
Your day to day will be varied but consist of a mixture of:
- Collaborating with up to two pods, progressing their effectiveness and driving high performance
- Working as a team of Engineering Managers to lead on and contribute to our continuous improvement
- Recruitment and onboarding of new engineers, including 30-, 60-, and 90-day reviews as well as 1:1s and 6-month reviews with the engineers you’ll manage
- Working with our Head of Engineering and the wider Product teams towards progressing our OKRs and initiatives
You will also help define, implement, and track meaningful metrics used to understand our platform and team’s performance. We do not expect you to code (unless you really want to!), however, you’ll be comfortable being involved in and facilitating technical discussions and coordinating technical work when needed. We’d like you to be a self-starter who wants to build brilliant places to work and be part of a scale-up that does good with technology.
This opportunity will allow you to have a direct effect on what we do and how we do it. If you have a desire to learn and wish to accelerate your career, we can give you exposure to every facet of enterprise SaaS software and as much responsibility as you are ready to handle!
OK, that’s me, but who are DrDoctor?
DrDoctor is a HealthTech company on an exciting growth trajectory. Our technology focuses on engaging patients across their healthcare journey while saving hospitals time, effort, and money.
Our Mission is that healthcare needs a reset. More people need care every day and health services struggle. Current patient engagement is a mess of disparate systems that hinder, rather than help care delivery.
Our Vision is a remote-first healthcare system, which can meet demand without sacrificing care quality. We want patients to be engaged in their care, shifting to a digital first model.
We do this at scale:
- 19 million+ patients use DrDoctor
- We manage over 83 million appointments
- We work with over 47 NHS Trusts and Health Boards (and still growing!)
We 💚 the NHS and want to help it work better. We radically transform the delivery of health services to make healthcare work for everyone – for patients, doctors, administrative teams and taxpayers.
What is DrDoctor’s set up?
Our current structure has taken inspiration from the Spotify model, our pods are aligned to products and have all the skills to do the work (think: engineers, product manager, designer). The whole company runs in two-week sprints and the pods have the autonomy to decide how they want to work and organise themselves around the problems they are trying to solve.
Our tech stack is primarily Microsoft based using C#, .NET, SQL and Vue.js with a sprinkling of interesting open-source components, although we are happy using any framework or even none at all. We deploy changes to production multiple times a day using CI/CD pipelines and run our systems on a mixture or virtual machine and PaaS service-based infrastructure hosted entirely on Azure cloud. We prefer to invest our talented engineers time in writing automated tests to keep our codebase healthy, rather than have dedicated QA/test roles.
OK, I’m interested. What experience do I need to have?
We’d like for you to have at least some experience in:
- Iterative development and agile ways of working
- Product led software development, facilitation and servant leadership in product teams
- Line management
- Developing people through guiding, coaching, mentoring, 1:1s, continuous feedback and performance reviews
- Leading, building and measuring high performance teams
- Active involvement in recruitment
Bonus points if you have exposure to:
- A software development background
- Experience with software integration approaches
- Cloud infrastructure & services
We know from research and experience that candidates may not apply if they don’t think they meet 100% of our requirements. If you don’t tick all the boxes but feel you would be a good fit, we would still love to hear from you. We are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive culture!
Just to let you know too, we will need you to have the Right To Work in the UK, and as we work closely with the NHS, if we get to the stage where we make you an offer to join us, we will also need to undertake a DBS check.
We are perfect for each other, what are the next steps?
We are currently recruiting heavily and have a lot of CVs to go through. However, we don’t wait for roles to close before going through your CV. We will be in touch in a few days to let you know if we think we might be a match, and if we are not. Unfortunately, because we get so many CV’s we are not able to send a personalised reply if it’s not a match. However, if you want more details as to why, just drop us a note and we will arrange to get some feedback over to you.
If it’s a match, then we will arrange a time for a quick call. Initially it will just be an informal chat so you can relax! We will tell you more about the role, the team and why you should want to join us.
If we continue, then we will invite you to meet some of the team, most likely virtually. Some our roles will also be subject to completing an assessment or a role related exercise.
We get there are a lot of great roles out there, so we will make sure to get through the rounds as quickly as possible. All we ask is you keep us up to date with your plans.
I can’t wait to get started, what are the perks?
An awesome team and mission? Oh, you want more?
- Remote by default approach (within the UK with short term work from abroad considered) - Everyone at DrDoctor will work remotely most of the time with regular opportunities to socialise and engage at office spaces available in and outside of London
- Flexible working (we understand we all have family and personal commitments; you can work where you are at your best and at times when you are most productive)
- Part time working considered - let us know what you need and we’ll do our best to find the right balance for both parties
- 25 days holiday plus Bank Holidays (with our own extra DrDoctor Bank Holidays thrown in for good measure!)
- 4 duvet days per year for those days that you just don’t fancy working
- A focus on Learning and Development, with a day aside once a month for the whole business to focus on it, plus access to unlimited courses through LinkedIn Learning and additional budget to spend on things to help you develop
- Mental health support through our partner OpenUp and our own in-house Mental Health First Aiders
- Drinks/other fun things sent to you in the post
- Cycle to work scheme
- A new office space in Southwark including a Multipurpose quiet room which can be used for activities such as Prayer, Meditation, or caring for your baby
- Enhanced parental leave (up to 16 weeks fully paid parental leave for anyone who brings a child into their home – whether this is via birth, adoption or surrogacy)
- Salary competitive and dependant on experience, we benchmark our salaries to accurately reflect the market at least once a year, and we benchmark all of our roles (regardless of where in the UK you live) based on London salaries.
- A focus on your career progression based on our progression framework, regular 6 months' pay reviews and mentoring opportunities
- EMI share options scheme!
As DrDoctor has grown, we are seeing more of our people wanting to socialise in different ways.
Whilst we know that some of us love to go to the pub, we want to make sure we are including a wide variety of activities and events for our teams to enjoy each other's company, we aim to continue creating an open space for anyone and everyone to suggest how they’d like to spend time with their teams.
We love a Summer and Christmas party and regular company/team socials and away days. In the past year or so, we have enjoyed go-karting, arcades, shuffle boarding and board game cafes! So far in 2023 we have held various events for celebrations such as Holi Festival, International Women’s Day and last year we celebrated our 10 year anniversary!
Salary banding for this role is: £60,500 - £75,000
Please mention that you found the job on keyboardjobs.com.
If you think there is something wrong with this job ad or if you think that it might violate our terms and conditions then please contact us on