GitHub is changing the way the world builds software, and we want you to help build GitHub! We are looking for an experienced engineering manager to support and lead the Dependabot team and help shape Dependabot’s future.
Dependabot is our friendly (and hard-working!) robot that helps keep the world’s software projects secure. Every year, Dependabot automatically creates millions of pull requests that update insecure or stale dependencies for our users. While Dependabot appears simple on the outside, behind the scenes there are some big challenges, including operating a scalable, rock-solid service (Dependabot opens significantly more pull requests than any other GitHub user!), protecting against bad actors, and staying on top of the constant changes to the 15 package ecosystems we support. And of course, we also believe Dependabot can do more to help developers and open source maintainers.
The team is distributed across the US and Europe, so the right candidate will thrive in a culture of asynchronous communication, and ideally have managed remote teams in the past. This role will require close collaboration with product managers, designers, and engineers to shape product direction, always keeping the developer experience top-of-mind. We care deeply about cultivating an environment of psychological safety that values experimentation and continuous learning and growth.
- Manage a remote team of software engineers, providing frequent coaching, feedback, career guidance, and identifying opportunities for growth.
- Cultivate an environment where team members are empowered through a collective sense of ownership and belonging.
- Participate in hiring and sourcing to build a diverse, high performance engineering team.
- Collaborate with engineering, product and design leadership to define and prioritize projects that help us meet our objectives.
- Provide clarity to the team, the company and the community, ensuring they have a clear understanding of the direction of the projects and the reasoning behind decisions.
- Ensure our service runs with a high level of reliability, performance, and security.
- Encourage an environment of technical excellence, and facilitate architectural discussions and decision making.
- 3 or more years of experience as a manager of software engineers.
- Prior experience working in distributed or remote teams.
- Passionate about fostering good engineering practices, tools, and processes.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Highly developed organizational, people, and process skills.
- A track record of providing feedback, teaching and mentoring others, and learning new skills.
- Experience developing a strategy and roadmap for your teams.
Additionally, any of the following experiences would be considered a plus:
- managing distributed teams and operating effectively across multiple time zones
- experience with site reliability engineering or operating software service at scale
- building developer tools
- experience building dependency management or software supply chain security products
- helping manage an open source community.
In this role, you can work remotely from anywhere in the United States or onsite in one of GitHub’s U.S. offices (San Francisco, Bellevue, Raleigh).
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed - Trust by Default - Ship to Learn - Own the Outcome - Growth Mindset - Global Product, Global Team - Anything is Possible - Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.
Please mention that you found the job on keyboardjobs.com.