Lead Software Engineer
Published on Fri, 10 Feb 2023 10:32 UTC
(43 days ago)
At Disney Streaming you'll have the opportunity to create highly scalable and reliable services that power Disney+. You'll get to understand the challenges of facilitating a high-quality, flawless media streaming experience across mobile, connected devices, and web, all while using the latest technologies available from AWS and beyond. You'll be tasked with raising the bar by innovating and adopting new patterns and technologies to keep your teams on the bleeding edge of development. At Disney Streaming Services we feel strongly that teams should own their own processes, decide their own technologies, and design solutions for the long term. If you're interested in working in a highly collaborative team environment like this, please get in touch - we'd love to hear from you!
Disney Streaming has already achieved a number of key landmarks for our partners including launching Eurosport Player, ESPN+ and of course the highly successful Disney+ service. We are looking for an experienced Lead Software Engineer to join us.
The Developer Platform Engineering team is responsible for ensuring services operate reliably at a high scale, while optimizing other attributes such as infrastructure and operations costs in near real-time using public cloud and open source technologies.
If you are interested in joining Disney Streaming in the pursuit of not only crafting new media products but enjoying the products you build, we are interested in hearing from you.
- Work within a cross functional team of engineers building software in a collaborative & agile development environment
- Collaborate with engineering teams, data teams, and data scientists to design and build solutions
- Participate in the full lifecycle of software development (requirements gathering, designing, building, testing, maintenance, and support)
- Participate in development of all components of the project, including development of backend services, tools, infrastructure, automation, machine learning infrastructure, database, and data solutions
- Be part of the development for some of the highest scale distributed systems in the world, solving challenging and varied engineering problems
- Work with other teams, evangelize the solution, best-practices, data driven decisions, identify new use cases and features and drive adoption
- Grow a team of engineers, be a leader in the areas of code quality, system design, reliability, performance, and more
- Design and architect innovative real-time data-driven solutions and lead architecture direction
- Lead implementation of use cases across various domains
- Drive and maintain a culture of quality, innovation and experimentation
- Coach engineers best practices and technical concepts of building large scale distributed systems
- 7+ years of software engineering experience
- Experience with Scala or experience with Java and interest in Scala
- Experience with the JVM ecosystem
- Knowledge and experience with distributed systems, their development, operations, observability, scalability, and elasticity
- Experience with RDBMS, key/value stores, distributed database solutions
- Experience with streaming data pipelines using tools such as Kinesis, Kafka, Spark, Storm, or Flink
- Experience with devOps, building automation and reliability in large scale systems, immutable infrastructure, containerization, including tools such as Jenkins, GitHub Actions, AWS CodeDeploy, Docker, AWS EC2, ECS, EKS, languages like Python, Go
- Experience deploying and running AWS-based solutions and familiarity with tools such as Cloud Formation, IAM, Cloudwatch, EC2, Kinesis, etc.
- Automated testing at different levels (unit, integration, functional, performance, etc.)
- Cross-functional approach to software development, devOps experience
- You're a self-learner, independent, and have excellent problem-solving skills.
- You care deeply about craftsmanship in your software, and can work backwards from the customer experience.
- Experience identifying recurring engineering patterns and proposing/driving solutions with little to no guidance.
- Experience in mentoring and growing your team’s technical skills. Constantly pushing the bar and leading by example.
- You have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience with functional programming
- Experience deploying and running AWS-based solutions and familiarity with tools such as DynamoDB, Elasticache, Lambda, Kinesis, S3, Firehose, EMR etc.
- Knowledge of the data, and streaming data ecosystems
- Familiarity with binary data serialization formats such as Protobuf, Parquet, Avro, or Thrift
- Experience building streaming data platforms, solving problems including event definition, evolution, processing, patterns and best practices, scalability, reliability, observability, validation etc.
- Experience with building self-service tools and libraries
- Familiarity with metadata management, data lineage, and principles of data governance
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field
About Disney Streaming Services:
Disney Streaming Services is responsible for developing and operating The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer video businesses globally, including the ESPN+ premium sports streaming service; the Disney+ subscription video service; and BAMTECH Media, a global leader in direct-to-consumer video streaming products and solutions. Our core mission is to deliver global audiences the freedom to access content on their terms across any connected device, time or location. We serve consumers by bringing the world’s most beloved characters, timeless stories, legendary athletes, and epic sporting events to global audiences through best-in-class direct-to-consumer video services. We strive daily to imaginatively challenge convention with innovative technology that gives consumers the freedom to access content on their terms across any connected device, time or location.
This position is with Disney Streaming Technology LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Disney Streaming Services.
Disney Streaming Technology LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world. If you would like to see more of the work we’re doing, follow us on Linkedin and Twitter, or follow our new Technology Blog “Disney Streaming Services - The Art of Possible”.
The hiring range for this position in New York is $156,292.00 to $209,660.00 per year. The base pay actually offered will take into account internal equity and also may vary depending on the candidate’s geographic region, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience among other factors. A bonus and/or long-term incentive units may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to the full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits, dependent on the level and position offered.
Please mention that you found the job on keyboardjobs.com.
If you think there is something wrong with this job ad or if you think that it might violate our terms and conditions then please contact us on