Remote. Requires core hours within 3 hours of the UK timezone, and live within 5 hours flight/train to London
This is an exciting time for Patients Know Best. We’re changing the future of healthcare and helping people improve the way they manage their health. Patients Know Best customers cover 30% of the UK population and our 2 millionth patient registered in August. Patients Know Best was the first PHR to be integrated into the NHS App and 13 of England’s 42 regions use PKB in the NHS App.
What makes us a different employer?
- Everyone who works at PKB is here to make a positive impact in the world
- We are a fully distributed team, everyone is working remotely and we’ve always worked this way
- We are committed to creating a greener world
- We are proud to be part of the first ever cohort of UK companies to hold B-Corp Social Enterprise status since 2015 (and to have won the Best for the World in the governance category for 2022)
If you haven't already, find out more about PKB – our service makes life better for millions of patients, healthcare professionals and carers.
Diversity drives Innovation - we look forward to receiving your application whatever your background. Come and join us on our inspiring journey.
We rely on good communication & collaboration (both within and across teams), and we're still small enough that you'll meet everyone. For day to day work, you'll work on a team of 4-8 developers with a range of experience levels and strengths, and a dedicated product expert. Our work focuses on a few major things:
- expanding and improving the web application: patients, professionals, customer admins, and carers all use our web interface to work with & understand the data in patient records.
- refactoring the early codebase, relying on our automated test coverage to migrate to better structures and micro services (we're midway through this process)
- integrations: customers send us medical data via our HL7v2 API, or via integrations with other major providers. We're expanding a FHIR-based REST API (and our new Angular-based web app uses it already).
- and architecturally - every "feature" project normally also includes related platform upgrades; we're gradually moving up to nation-scale patient populations.
We talk every day (brief daily team stand-ups at a minimum; other regular calls only if they have clear goals/focus – ad-hoc calls any time it's faster than typing). Everyone is generally available for scheduled calls during core hours, something like 9 am - 4 pm London time. Many of us are parents, so we may fill in extra time in the early morning or evening.
We communicate mostly via Slack, with periodic calls & screen sharing. We track epics, stories & bugs in Jira; PRs go through GitHub.
We follow a scrum development process, estimating work complexity (not time) and iterating two weeks at a time, and all teams work closely with Product to understand & help shape projects from early stages.
You'll need Java experience; most of our codebase is in Java.
We're expecting 1+ years of professional work experience.
Beyond that: we are not looking for people who "tick all the boxes" in a long list; we're more interested if you:
- have some deep skills and interesting achievements - even if they are not directly related to this role
- are comfortable asking questions, and interested in expanding your knowledge
- willing and interested in taking a problem or spec all the way to delivery – this is a hands-on role
This is what our stack looks like – including both what we have, and where we want to go. You wouldn't work with everything here, but you'll get to learn a lot of it (and possibly teach others some of it):
- Most of the current code runs on Java 11 / Spring.
- We also use Kotlin, Python, Go, bash.
- Our legacy webapp uses Struts and JSPs; the next generation webapp we are gradually migrating to is based on Angular and REST APIs
- PostgreSQL for relational data
- Kubernetes/GKE for orchestration and development
- Testing: end-to-end tests with a custom framework built on Selenium; integration & unit tests with Arquillian & JUnit
- Prometheus and Grafana for time series data collection, reports and alerting.
- Industry-standard specifications like HL7v2 and FHIR serve as the basis of our APIs. It's useful if you can contribute knowledge about these or if you would like to learn more about them.
Fully-remote: manage your own working environment and schedule; pragmatic flexibility. We are mostly full-time but we make exceptions.
We'll pay for your work computer; choose your OS & IDE (we'll share the setups that have worked best for us)
We need diversity in our team to build a great global service, so we work actively to exclude bias from our hiring process and from our work culture. Your race, colour, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, age, disability, or any other aspect of your personal life & history that aren't harming your work will not block you from being hired and advancing your career with us. You will be treated with respect, kindness & a willingness to learn, and we'll expect you to treat your colleagues the same way.
When your personal life does affect your work (it happens; more than half of our developers have small children at home, for example), our smart & flexible policies will help by default, and we'll work with you to adapt your work/life integration sensibly.
Please mention that you found the job on keyboardjobs.com.